Friday, June 1, 2012

Vegetable Garden - aka Bunny Salad Bar

bunny paradise
This is the first year that I have decided to grow more vegetables in the back garden.  I moved the herbs, except the thyme and chives, to pots to grow so that I would have room for veggies.  I planted more tomatoes (with the hope of canning them or making salsa, or both!) and more peppers, too.  And this year, two of the three lovely trellis will have beans and cucumbers!  The middle one will have the pretty sweet peas that my husband insists upon (nitrogen fixer - yep, I married a biologist!).  Along with those, I have garlic, onions and some little lettuce mixes, and kale!  Yay kale!

It's funny - this seems to be the year of the pots.  In addition to the herbs in pots, I started some strawberries in pots, too.  Those cute little ones with the openings on the side that you can put the stringers into as they grow.  The plants have lots of little green berries ripening.  I hope that I can beat the birds to them!

All of this growing stuff leads to troubles with bunnies. They seem to believe that I planted all of this JUST FOR THEM!  And they graze and nibble with impunity - IN BROAD DAYLIGHT!  Oh, if I could run faster we could have a wonderful herb-y bunny stew.

The trouble is, I am frustrated and angry when they eat my food, but my big, soft heart thinks they are really cute.  I can't win!

5 comments:

  1. What is Jackson doing while they are nibbling? That is the main reason to keep a dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One would think so. He can't be outside all of the time, and he sleeps in the house at night. So while I am at work or asleep, the bunnies have free lunch! I think it is time to break out the marigolds! and I REALLY dislike marigolds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could put up a tent in the back yard and sleep in the tent with Jackson....
    Hmmm.. when you are at work, you could.... plant marigolds.
    And why do you hate marigolds? They are lovely! If it is the color you dislike, just nip off the heads before flowering. Then you just have giant tropical looking stinky plants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't HATE marigolds, but I dislike them. They are just rather dull. But I think that I will need to resort to growing them, the rabbit and deer repellant are not working as well as I had hoped. The have now eaten the leaves from the kale. AND I LIKE KALE!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you are weird... Liking kale more than lettuce and marigolds? Hmmm.... lol.

      Live trap and keep them as pets. You could lay chicken wire over the whole yard, and let the grass grow through it. Then put the rabbits in a rabbit tractor and use them to keep the lawn mowed (the wire keeps them from tunneling out of the movable cage). Ah, permaculture is so much fun!

      Delete