Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Weekend Job

Remember the LARGE zucchinis from the mom garden? And the load of tomatoes, cucumbers and the half-ton of basil?

Harvest from Mom's garden


They now look something like this:

Rewards of harvest!


Not too shabby - 6 loaves of zucchini bread, 7 quarts of cucumbers, 2 quarts and a pint of tomatoes, and 5 pints of pesto.  The pickles will be extra garlic-y, which is perfectly fine with me!

This was my first time canning anything, and I knew it would be a lot of work, but I was a bit unprepared for just how much I decided to tackle.  Oh, and in case you are wondering - that was only one of the three large zucchinis that made 6 loaves. I figure at the end of this whole deal that I will have made 18 - 20 loaves of bread, if that is what I choose to do with all that zucchini.

Next up is Golden Pear Tomato Jam, and I am REALLY excited about this one. Sweet with a little zing from the hot peppers.

And don't worry, Mom. All of your bowls are washed and in the bag ready to go back to your house. And who knows, there may be a loaf of bread in your freezer, along with a jar of pesto when you get home....

4 comments:

  1. That looks awesome!
    Are the extra garlicky pickles OK with your hubby and co-workers though? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I think Troy loves garlic even more than me. As far as the people I work with, well, they will just have to get used to it!

    Wish I could send some to you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy girl! I would happily take half of your ambition. (And a loaf of zucchini!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will happily bring you a loaf of zucchini bread. I need room in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete