Monday, April 9, 2012

Long Weekend

Who doesn't love a long weekend? The weeds in my flowerbeds for one! Give me a little extra time to spend outdoors and I will make their lives short-lived.


That said, there are many weeds that were given a reprieve this weekend, too. We had a gentle rainfall for much of the day on Saturday, so I stayed in. I know there are some die-hard folks out there who will go out and garden no matter the weather. My neighbor is - she jokes frequently about not being smart enough to come in out of the rain. I have even caught her watering plants in the rain! I may have considered going out on Saturday if we had not had such an early spring this year. If I am itching to get out and dig in the dirt, a little sprinkle will not stop me!



I did manage to get the front flower beds weeded and free of debris. Last fall, I dug up and divided the hosta that have been growing out there for years, they were past due for a clearing out. I gave away about 10 pots of hosta, and started a ring around the tree on the boulevard with 6 more. They are coming up gangbusters right now! I also dug up the sedum that was in the front - I couldn't stand it anymore! It would always fall down when it started to bloom, regardless of how big or small it was. So I gave those away, too. Now I have some lovely empty spots that I can fill with new and interesting plants! My poor husband bemoans this time of year, as I am always coming home with more plants to put in the ground. But I love it. Such simple joy.

When I first moved here 5 1/2 years ago, I put a brick border around the flower beds. Not all at once, it did take me a few months (okay, a couple years) but it was a nice way to separate the lawn and the beds. Now I am playing around with that in the front of the house, adjusting it and adding to it. I put in a row of hosta on both sides of the sidewalk, and need to put in the brick along those sides, as the lawn keeps trying to creep back in. And I am seriously tempted to tear up the weed infestation that the boulevard strip has become, and put in flowers and other plants. We will see just how crazy I get this year with all of the weeding and re-arranging. I may just tear it up and put down grass seed and make it pretty again.

Oh! And the yard needs to be mowed again.

No comments:

Post a Comment