Monday, April 2, 2012

The Strangest Spring Ever

You can ask just about anyone in central Minnesota about this past March, and they will all tell you the same thing.  This is the strangest early spring that we have experienced.  According to the climatologists, it was the warmest March in over 100 years.  All of the plants are coming up much earlier than usual, and I am itching to get new plants and veggies into the garden.  But this is Minnesota, and I have a pretty strong feeling that Mother Nature will kick us in the shins if we get too uppity and plant before mid-May.

So what is a girl to do? I have pulled all the dead growth from around my plants and flowers, raked leaves, pulled those pesky weeds that come back no matter how thoroughly I remove them.  I have trimmed the lowest branches of the spirea that grow near the back porch (with the mild winter, the bunnies didn't do it for me) and tied up the rose bush to make it easier to trim over the summer. I am putting the early cold crops in the garden, lettuce, radishes, etc, even though it really isn't cold. All of the tomatoes, herbs and pepper seeds have been started indoors in anticipation of sun-warmed soil.

But out of sheer contrary-ness, I refused to start my lawnmower before April.

I am sure that I will pay for that. The grass is now REALLY long in some places, and full of all the juicy-deliciousness that spring grass holds. I will have green shoes and socks when I do get out to mow. But that isn't really isn't too high a price to pay for such a strange March, is it?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, green grass sounds so nice. Here I am growing satsumas and palmettos, but the grass is still brown and dormant. It's just not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be too fooled. Most of the back yard is actually creeping charlie and crab grass. But I don't want to put down anything in the yard that will be bad for the little brown and white dog.

    And hey - at least you can grow palmettos and satsumas.

    ReplyDelete